Local legislators to help with property-tax relief

Posted Wednesday, November 30, 2011 in News

GEORGETOWN — Many Maine residents may be eligible for a sliding-scale rebate of up to $1,600 from the state of Maine if they pay more than 4  percent of their income in local property taxes, or over 20 percent in rent, according to Sen. Seth Goodall, D-Sagadahoc, and Rep. Bruce MacDonald, D-Boothbay.

Goodall and MacDonald will be hosting a forum on Dec. 7, along with a representative of Maine Revenue Services, to help residents of Georgetown and anyone from nearby towns interested in applying for the Maine Property Tax and Rent Refund Program, also known as the “circuit breaker.” They will also explain the homestead and veterans’ exemptions and welcome individual conversations about other state issues constituents may wish to discuss.  

The Georgetown Select Board and the Georgetown Community Center helped coordinate this event for the people of Georgetown and the surrounding community. This is one in a series of these events Goodall is holding within his district on this topic, with an earlier one in Richmond and more in the planning stages.

“This session is designed to help Maine homeowners and renters save money on their property taxes,” said Goodall. “On average, the program refunds approximately $425 to those who are eligible — certainly a significant savings during these challenging economic times.”

“Everyone knows that times are tough and that any help with property taxes is welcome,” said MacDonald. “With the help of the Georgetown Community Center and town leaders this forum will let people know more about their options to help them stay in their homes or have a little more money in their pockets.”

The event will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Dec. 7 at the Georgetown Community Center (GCC). The GCC is located adjacent to Campbell Square and the Five Islands Cemetery at 19 Old Schoolhouse Road in Georgetown, across from the Five Islands Baptist Church.  

Attendees should bring with them complete copies of their 2010 state and federal income tax returns; or, for individuals who are not required to file tax returns, statements that identify all sources of income, such as Form SSA-1099 of 1099-R for 2009. You will also need either a copy of your property tax bill showing the total taxes paid on your primary residence from June 2010 to June 2011, or proof of rent paid during 2010, such as a lease or rent receipts. 

The event is free and open to the public.  

blog comments powered by Disqus